Similarly to couples counseling, in family therapy, the main focus is on the relationship of the family as a whole rather than each individual. Family therapy is a wonderful addition to individual therapy but is also beneficial alone. Though family therapy is most often involving children and parents it is also beneficial for adult children and parents, siblings, and extended family members.
Though there are many issues and concerns that are addressed in family therapy, the most common issues addressed include:
- Defiance and noncompliance
- Parenting issues
- Supportive family therapy for an individual member
- Familial fighting without resolution
- Divorce or separation of parents
- Grief or loss of a family member